As parents we are constantly busy, I am a mom of two so I know making time for ourselves can be challenging. Many of our life tasks gets in the way of getting a great workout in. If you are parent then you know what I mean; we are too busy with the house,kids sports, school, family and everything else in between, but it does not have to be that way. As a busy body, you may not have time to spend one hour at the gym, but you can find 30 minutes in your day to have an amazing full body workout, leaving your feel great and energized. I can attest to this as an AFFA Group Exercise instructor. I’ve taught several High Intensity Interval Training “HIIT” classes for civilian and military personnel.
When I don’t feel like going to the gym or have enough time to have a longer workout, then I stay at home and do a 30 minute HIIT workout. After a HIIT I am drenched in sweat and I am like “BAM” that was a great workout! You can have the same feeling of “BAM” by doing these five exercises for four rounds (5×4). This exercise is simple but effective, which is the way to go in life. You will do each exercise for 40 seconds with 10 seconds of rest and after the first set you can rest for 15 seconds and start again or skip the 15 seconds of rest all together and continue to the next round.
Total workout without the 15 seconds after each round is 16 minutes and 40 seconds. WOW, not bad, when you add in the 15 seconds of rest after each round, your total workout time is 17 minutes and 40 second rounds. With a quick warm-up and cool down, your time should be right at 30 minutes. Remember to keep your core engaged (pull the belly bottom in towards your back), modify if you need to, but you should challenge yourself.
Equipment, none body weight exercises.
Timer-gymboss app, phone timer, or stop watch
Space- floor anywhere (house, yard, park, you name it)
Rag– to wipe the sweat
Snack (post workout fuel, banana etc.)
Now that you have everything that you need, let’s get started!
- Full body planks- lay in the supine position (stomach) and lift your entire body off the floor. You can modify or amplified the exercise (Modify by keeping your knees on the floor) Amplified, lift one leg of the floor for 20 seconds each or alternate each leg during the 40 seconds)
- Wall Sits– Grab a wall and get as low as if you are sitting in a chair (knees are 90 degrees), back flat against the wall. To modify you can go down as far as you feel comfortable and to challenge yourself, extend each leg for 20 seconds. Feel that good burn!
- Squat with 4 pulses– Squat down until your knees are 90 degrees, pulse in the down position 4 times, and bring it up. (one of my favorites). You can skip the pulses if you it is too challenging or have knees problem.
- Planks Up/Down- Lay in the supine position (stomach) and lift your entire body off the floor, drop your elbows (one at a time) and push back up. Modify by dropping to your knees or amplified by adding two push-ups like I did in the video below.
- Burpees– Drop to floor similar to a plank position, jump back with your legs, jump in, pop back up and repeat. The goal is to move as as fast as you can.
This workout will have you feeling great, let me know how you did and remember you have to challenge yourself to see change. Have Fun and be Safe!
“Motivation Accountability Change”